--------- Frequently Asked Questions ---------
Question: Is swimming allowed in the lake?
Answer: Yes, it is great place to swim.
Question: What type of bottom does the lake have?
Answer: The cottages all have sandy bottom.
Question: Are the cottages kid friendly?
Answer: Yes, there are even some toys and games available. The Blue heron has a kids playroom. Please inspect all toys, games and outdoor play things prior to use as these items are NOT maintained between rentals.
Question: Does Lake Mitchell and Lake Cadillac allow motorized water craft?
Question: Can I rent a boat or bike nearby?
Answer: Kayaks, boats and bikes are available from a number of local rental shops.
Question: What kind of fish are in the lakes?
Answer: Walleye, northern pike, crappie, bluegills, perch, large mouth and small mouth bass. Cadillac and Mitchell offer over 3,700 acres of prime fish holding habitat. Lake Cadillac is approximately 1,120 acres in size and features over 400 acres of prime fish-holding weed cover. A fertile body of water, 50% of the lake is 15 feet deep or less.
Lake Mitchell spans over 2,580 acres with approximately 2,000 acres dominated by lush patches of aquatic cabbage weed. This is the more shallow lake with some spots being over 15 feet deep.
Question: What time is check in and check out?
Answer: Check in time is 2:30 pm and Check out is 10:00 am unless otherwise stated on the contract.
Question: I am looking for a spot to rent and invite folks over for family reunion gathering or friends get together. Is this a good spot?
Answer: Unfortunately, No. The property is only for those staying in the cottages. The cottages are ideal for small groups of ten to gather and stay, but not for bigger gatherings. This is a set of private homes as opposed to a public resort. However, there are many great parks and restaurants in the area to host your party at.
Question: Can I arrange a late or early check in?
Answer: Unfortunately early check in or late check out is not available as we need time to ensure the cottages are properly cleaned and sanitized. We have scheduled service staff between departures and arrivals. Please plan your departure accordingly as cleaning and service staff arrives just after check out. Late check out penalty fees apply.
Question: How do I get the key to get in?Answer: Private access code will be sent in advance for key-less entry at each property location. For your safety during the stay and the security of the property, access code is for registered guests only and should not be shared.
Question: How old do you need to be to rent from Michigan family cottages?
Answer: The Primary Rental Guest who signs this Rental Agreement must be at least 21 years of age and must have appropriate identification. They must be an occupant of the unit during the entire reserved period. All other occupants will be family members or responsible adult guests of the tenant.
Question: How many people are allowed to stay at the cottages?
Answer: Total number of occupants is based on the cottage you choose, weekly rate and rental contract. The number of guests should not exceed the occupants listed on contract. The resort and beach area and cottages are reserved for the guests of Michigan Family Cottages. Only registered guests may use the property. For the enjoyment of all those staying at the resort and the neighboring cottages we do not allow outside visitors to use the properties.
Question: Are pets allowed on the property?
Answer: Not at this time.
Question: Is there an area for a campfire?
Answer: Yes! However always use the provided fire pit. Never burn directly on ground or beach. Never leave fires unattended. Distinguish fires when finished. There is an aluminum can outside for all ashes. Due to vintage construction of the indoor fireplaces, Absolutely NO fires in indoor fireplaces!
Question: What condition do I need to leave the cottage in?
Answer: The same condition as you arrived. Make sure, dishes are clean and put away, the home is picked up and ready to be vacuumed, dusted and sanitized. Please dispose of all unwanted food in the refrigerator and freezer. Remove trash from cottage and placed in trash cans provided outside.
Question: Should I inspect the cottages upon arrival?
Answer: Michigan Family Cottages is know to provide well appointed, fully equipped, and admirably furnished cottages. Guests are asked to inspect cottages and report any conditions not meeting property description at the start of their stay to assure there are no issues that would compromise returning of deposits.
Question: What do I do if something is damaged during my stay?
Answer: Call us. We understand accidents happen. We want the cottage to remain in good condition for all guests and the sooner addressed, the more likely clean up can get underway and hopefully the issue resolved. The cottage guests should never attempt repairs and should contact the Michigan Family Cottages staff for any repairs needed.
Question: Should we bring our own linens and towels?
Answer: Yes, we recommend that guests bring their own linens and towels. Pillows and blankets are in the rooms. Michigan Family Cottages can provide clean used bed sheet sets and towels for a fee (see rates page).
Question: What day is trash pick up?
Answer: Trash pickup is Monday early morning. Please have all garbage bagged and removed from the home and placed in the appropriate trash receptacle both Wednesday and end of your stay.
Question: Should I bring my own personal care items and paper products?
Answer: Yes, Michigan Family Cottages does NOT provide personal toiletry items or paper products. Some examples of these products are napkins, paper plates, plastic ware, extra trash bags, additional toilet paper, additional paper towels, shampoos and soaps.
Question: Are there grocery or convenience stores nearby?
Answer: Are there there are several local stores nearby to the cottage. There are also gas stations and convenience stores all in walking distance. There are also a number of places to get a quick bite to eat.
Question: Is it possible to cancel after a reservation has been made?
Answer: Yes. Should you wish to cancel your reservation. 100% of the reservation will be refunded with 60 day notice. 50% of the rent will be refunded if notice is given at least 21 days prior to arrival date on contract. The cottage renter will not be refunded for a late arrival or early departure.
--------- COTTAGE POLICIES ---------
Tenants and all other occupants will be required to vacate the premises and forfeit the rental fee and security deposit for any of the following:
- Exceeding occupancy, allowing non-registered guests to use the property, extra guests, subletting or assignment of occupancy
- Using the premises for any illegal activity including, but not limited to, the possession, serving or consumption of alcoholic beverages by or to persons less than 21 years of age. Use of illegal drugs on property.
- Smoking in the cottages. All cottages are no smoking facilities, Evidence of smoking inside the cottages will result in a $200 cleaning fee. This is for the benefit and comfort of all of our guests.
- Use of fireworks or fire arms on or near property
- Causing damage to the premises rented or to any of the neighboring properties.
- Any acts which interferes with neighbors' right to privacy & use of their property with out disturbance
- Disregard to quiet hours (quiet hours are between 10pm and 8am)
- Failure to adhere to signage on property
- Failure to follow parking instructions
- Starting any Indoor fires
For the safety, comfort and enjoyment of our guests & property:
- No glass on beach
- Linens, bedding, blankets and pillows are not allow outside or on the beach. Service charge for replacing damaged or missing linens/towels apply.
- Please leave all cottage furnishings, remote controls, kitchen items, toys and game pieces to the original location for the next guest to enjoy. Please do not exchange items or furnishings between cottages.
- Keep the outside elements out of the cottages: Remove sand from swimsuits, towels, shoes, etc. before entering cottages. These easily track into the carpets, furniture, and bedding plus clog drains. Do not leave doors propped open with out screens.
- Don’t sit on furniture while wet or leave wet items on the furniture/floors.
- Do not put Grease down the sink drain
- Please park in the designated for parking
- Inspect all indoor toys, beach toys and flotation units prior to use. Use at own risk.
- The resort and beach area and cottages are reserved for only the guests of Michigan Family Cottages. For the enjoyment of all those staying at the resort and the neighboring cottages we do not allow outside visitors to use the properties.
- Have fun at all times!
Contact us today to make your vacation reservations:
Michigan Family Cottages LLC and its owners will not assume any liability for loss, damage or injury to persons or their personal property. Neither do we accept liability for any inconvenience arising from any temporary defects or stoppage in supply of water, gas, electricity or plumbing. All toys, games, outdoor and beach toys are not maintained between rentals and must be inspected by tenants prior to use. Tenant acknowledges, accepts and assumes all risks involved in or related swimming in surrounding waters of property and use of toys, games and other outdoor toys and beach items. Tenants and guests should never attempt repairs and should contact the Michigan Family Cottages staff as soon as possible for any repairs needed.Renter Insurance coverage that includes liability insurance is recommended. Tenant agrees to accept liability for any damages caused to the property by Tenant, Tenants guests or pets, including, but not limited to, landscaping, misuse of appliances, and/or equipment furnished. Michigan Family Cottages has the right to bill renters for items found missing or damaged furnishings. There will be a replacement fee for missing, soiled or damaged linens/sheets.